Merriam Demographics and Real Estate Info
Merriam Kansas is a suburb of Kansas City located in the northeast of Johnson County. It is considered part of the greater Kansas City Metropolitan Area. Nearby cities include: Shawnee, Mission, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Lenexa, Leawood, Roeland Park, and Kansas City Missouri.
The History of Merriam dates back to 1826 and 1833 when the Shawnee Indians were moved into the region from Ohio and Missouri. Quaker Missionaries had worked with the Shawnee in Ohio. With this migration, the Quakers established a mission for the Shawnee tribes in 1836.
In 1864, where Merriam is today, David Gee Campbell of Tennessee bought land from a local Indian woman, Mary Parks. This area became known as Campbelton and had approximately 20 homes and supporting businesses.
Merriam was incorporated in 1950. The city is named to honor Mr. Charles Merriam, the secretary/treasurer of what was then known as Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf railroad.
Today, Merriam is a thriving community of charming homes and unique appeal that makes Merriam a wonderful place to live. The community is vibrant and with its proximity to Kansas City and other delightful Johnson County cities, presents an appealing environment.
There are hundreds of attractions and fun places in Merriam and surrounding communities; including:
- Steamboat Arabia
- Happy Feet Indoor Soccer
- American Jazz Museum
- Merriam Farmers’ Market
- Crossroads Arts District
- Union Station
- Libraries & Community Centers
- Harley Davidson Assembly Plant
- Farmer’s Markets
- Ernie Miller Nature Center & Deanna Rose in neighboring towns
- Golf Courses
- Kauffman and Arrowhead Stadiums
- Arts & Music Venues such as Tim Murphy Art Gallery
- Family Fun such as Pump It Up
There are greater than 1300 thriving businesses in Merriam and Northeast Johnson County. Just a few businesses that call Merriam and Northeast Johnson County home include:
- Mission Bank
- Shawnee Mission Health Center
- Cumulus Radio
- Kansas City Health & Wellmobile
- Sifers Valomilk Candy Co.
- Hy-Vee Food & Drug
- University of Kansas Hospital
- Seaboard Corporation
- Population – 10,923, Up 2% since 2000
- Average Income – $66,799 Per Year
- Average age – 38 years
- Gender– 47% Male, 53% Female
- Households– 4,884, 25% with children
- Average Home Values – $158,064
- Pembroke Hill School
- Kadesh Academy
- Notre Dame de Sion
- Rockhurst High School
- Prince of Peace Catholic School
- Saint Teresa’s Academy
- Saint Thomas Aquinas High School
- Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy
Merriam public school district is Shawnee Mission.
The Shawnee Mission School District is the third largest school district in Kansas. 2014-2015 school year had 27,509 students in attendance. Since its unification in 1969, the school district has consistently ranked among the finest school districts in the nation.
There are also dozens of great private schools in the greater Kansas City Metropolitan area. Some of these include: